Here’s a smart project that brings versatility to your decorative pillows.
Overview: In this project, we will create a pillow band using Silhouette Studio ® Business Edition V4. We will cut the design in Siser EasyWeed Green Grass Glitter, Siser EasyWeed Red Glitter, and Siser EasyWeed Black heat transfer vinyl using the Silhouette Cameo 3 ® cutting machine and heat press using the MAXX Clam Heat Press.
Magic Weed Edge weeding tool
- Decide on the design and placement for your project. We are using a design from TRW called “Mistletoe Vector” and the name “Evans.”
- Open the .svg file in Silhouette Studio ®, and ungroup it. Click on the Trace Panel, select the Trace Area and click on Trace. Click on your design with your left mouse button and drag it apart. Move the old version of your design into the margin. Click on the red outline of your design and open the Fill Panel to recolor it. Repeat this for both parts of this mistletoe design.
- Insert Text and type the name. For this design, we are using “Evans.” Select the name and open the Fill Panel to change the color. While the name is still selected, open the Text Panel and change it to the font and font size prefer. We used Pharmount for personal use.
- If you use a script font, you will need to select it and right click on it to weld.
- Move the name so it overlaps a mistletoe leaf. Select the name and click on the Offset Panel. Change the offset to fit your preference. We used .08.
- After making the offset, it will be selected so before clicking on anything else, hold Shift and also select the mistletoe (not the red berries). While both are selected, click the Modify Panel and choose Subtract.
- After you click Subtract, you may notice that your mistletoe is in pieces and they are all already selected. Don’t click anything else until you type Ctrl + e to make the mistletoe’s holly leaves a compound path again and recolor. If you accidentally click or type something else and you lose the selection, use Ctrl + z as a shortcut to undo your last action.
- Adjust your design so the total width is approx. 12”. For this design, the mistletoe is about 4” wide and the name extends approx.. another 8”.
- Click Send, check cut settings in the Material tab and adjust as needed. Load your vinyl properly into your Cameo, do a test cut and adjust cut settings as needed.
- Weed your design.
- Heat press the Siser EasyWeed Green Grass Glitter HTV onto the burlap band at 315° for 2-3 seconds with high pressure. Press the Siser EasyWeed Red Glitter HTV onto the burlap band for 203 seconds also with high pressure. Finally, press your Siser EasyWeed Black HTV onto the burlap band for 10-12 seconds with high pressure.
Material Cost: $4.17 ($2.30 in vinyl, $1.87 for the pillow band)
Estimated Total Time: 20 min
Tips and Ideas
- Use pillow bands throughout the year to celebrate different seasons and holidays without buying new pillows.
- Use our designs at therhinestoneworld.com to create a custom design using a name, school name, organization name, or favorite saying.
- Be sure to change the Cut Settings for each different type of vinyl used. Use The Rhinestone World’s Recommended Cut Settings guide to find cutting specs.
- Use The Rhinestone World’s Rhinestone and Vinyl Pressing Specs guide to find heat press settings and hot or cold peel directions.