Here’s a smart project that brings versatility to your decorative pillows. It’s an inexpensive idea that brings a world of character to a room.
Overview: In this project, we will create a custom globe using Silhouette Studio ® Business Edition V4. We will cut the design in FDC Decal Vinyl using the Silhouette Cameo 3 ® cutter and apply it using Sign Vinyl Application Tape.
Globe (Here’s one from Amazon: 11” Globe) but we found this one for $.99 at a thrift store.
Magic Weed Edge weeding tool
- Find a globe. Try to find one at a thrift store or yard sale and paint it with black chalkboard paint or use a globe that is already solid black.
- Using Silhouette Studio ® software, click the insert text box (icon is a capital A) the left menu to create 4 separate text lines that say “The”, “World”, “IS”, and “Yours”. Alternate script and regular fonts such as Calista for “The” and “Yours”, and Roadway for “World” and “IS”.
- If you use a script font, be sure to select it and right-click on it to weld before cutting.
- Add other features to your design such as an arrow, feather, heart, graduation cap, etc. by bringing it in from your Silhouette library or copying a free image online and using the Trace Panel to trace it. Create a custom design by adding names and dates.
Note: For this 12” globe, we used a design that was a total of approximately 9” high and 10” wide.
- Click Send. Note: if you bring an .svg file into your design page but the red cut lines do not appear in the Send panel, click on your design then click Cut as the option for Action to see red cut lines appear. You don’t need to flip your design when working with decal vinyl.
- Choose your material name as the option for Material. Be careful to use cutting specs for your material rather than the default settings pre-programmed in your software. You may also find that metallic sign vinyl requires slightly different cut settings than regular sign vinyl. The recommended cut settings for FDC decal vinyl are blade depth 3, speed 10 and force 4; but that did not work well so we ended up using blade depth 5, speed 10, and force 6, which worked perfectly.
- Load your vinyl shiny side up on your mat. Do a Test Cut by clicking TEST on the Send page and adjust cut settings as needed before starting the cuts. When you are ready to cut your design, click SEND.
- Weed your design, apply sign vinyl application tape to it and use a scraper tool to rub the application tape against the sign vinyl. Metallic sign vinyl may not stick as well to the application tape as regular decal vinyl so be patient. (SEE FIGURE 8)
Material Cost: Cost of your globe, paint, and approx. $3.00 in sign vinyl
Estimated Total Time: 30 min (not including paint drying time)
Tips and Ideas
- Create customized globes as wedding gifts and graduation gifts using FDC Decal Vinyl. There are so many colors to choose from!
- Paint your globe a parchment color for an antique look with brown lettering.
- Use small 6” blank globes from Amazon and give them as a hostess gift.
- Be sure to change the Cut Settings for each different type of vinyl used. Use The Rhinestone World’s Recommended Cut Settings guide to find cutting specs.